PDA

View Full Version : How To Tell If I'm Intersex?

RKH
07-25-08, 11:16 PM
Ok, I don't exactly know what's up with me or if it's related to being intersex at all, but I thought it might be related so I decided to ask here just to find out.
Is there any way to know if you might have been born intersex but were modified as a young child before you could have any idea? My parents would NOT tell me if I asked them and I really don't want to have that conversation.
I am technically female right now, but I've always felt like more of a gender-neutral person. Aside from that, my nipples and vagina seem to have no feeling in them whatsoever. I wasn't sure if this could be due to having them constructed because I was boring intersex, or if this is a whole different thing altogether.
I'm sorry, I am pretty ignorant to intersex things so maybe this is absolutely unrelated.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and please respond if you can help.

fraulein_Maria
07-25-08, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=RKH;15236]
Is there any way to know if you might have been born intersex but were modified as a young child before you could have any idea?

>>> yes, but its difficult. first, are you over 18? second, do you have health ins.?

If your under 18 its unlikely that you'll be able to get the answers you need from anyone but your GP or gyn. that being said, i would recommend going to planned parenthood if you can't get a straight answer from anyone.

Recently over 18: shop around for a GP or gyn you TRUST. if your a college student, you may be covered under there ins. plan. once you have that doc, tell him/her of your suspicions and ask that he aquire your records for you to peruse together. Make it clear that you are not afraid of the truth.

XX-CAH females and XY-AIS females are those most likely to have had infant surgeries. clitorectomy is common in the former, gonadectomy in the latter. they both can have vagino-plasty, but this is usually done later in life.<

The Female Eunuch
07-26-08, 12:37 AM
Hello,

I don't know what the answer is, but your description of a complete lack of feeling is characteristic of scar tissue from surgery. I've got a lot of it. It is also incredibly smooth to the touch. Is that what you've got?

cheers,
Caroline

RKH
07-26-08, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=RKH;15236]
Is there any way to know if you might have been born intersex but were modified as a young child before you could have any idea?

>>> yes, but its difficult. first, are you over 18? second, do you have health ins.?

If your under 18 its unlikely that you'll be able to get the answers you need from anyone but your GP or gyn. that being said, i would recommend going to planned parenthood if you can't get a straight answer from anyone.

Recently over 18: shop around for a GP or gyn you TRUST. if your a college student, you may be covered under there ins. plan. once you have that doc, tell him/her of your suspicions and ask that he aquire your records for you to peruse together. Make it clear that you are not afraid of the truth.

XX-CAH females and XY-AIS females are those most likely to have had infant surgeries. clitorectomy is common in the former, gonadectomy in the latter. they both can have vagino-plasty, but this is usually done later in life.<

I am turning 18 in September, I live in Canada but I don't know if that would be covered by our health plan. I might try the planned parenthood aproach because I have easier access to that.
I still have my clitoris but the outer parts of my vagina hang down in an abnormal way...
what is a gonadectomy?

prince....ss?
07-26-08, 11:32 AM
Lots of scars. I had the gonads removed and things opened and reconstructed and removed. So I have a scar from hip to hip it looks like a C section scar. Opened me up like a fish and started to root around. Then down below there are all kinds of scaring they are very apparent even after 46 years. I have pictures of my surgery so I know to what extent they cut on me.

fraulein_Maria
07-26-08, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=RKH;15246][QUOTE=fraulein_Maria;15238]

I am turning 18 in September, I live in Canada but I don't know if that would be covered by our health plan.

>>> it should be. in canada everyone gets what we in the states call a "GP" a general practicioner (sometimes an internist has that role) who is the person YOU assign to be in charge of your over-all health care needs. women in the states often use a gynecologist for this purpose. once you turn 18, please get one that has not even HEARD of who your parents are.... i had much of my health care interfered with (unbeknowest to me at the time) because my mother and i had the same gyn.
The point is you need a doctor that works for YOU. <<<

I might try the planned parenthood aproach because I have easier access to that.

>>> i only mentioned them as a last resort. i wouldn't call them the smartest of doctors, only the most compliant ones. At the very least they will take your side in any parent/child battle. <<<

I still have my clitoris but the outer parts of my vagina hang down in an abnormal way...

>>> what your calling the outer part of your vagina are called the "labia majora" the large outer lips. these will often be larger if the clitorus is large. believe me, they are protecting your sensitive/fragile clitorus from damage/pain.

if you have money to spare, buy a copy of the NEW "Our bodies, Our selves". The old one covers the basics very well, but the new one actually talks about intersexed conditions. This 43 y/o 20 year practicing nurse learned something new from it... so even though the language is easy the depth is excellent. <<<

what is a gonadectomy?

>>> removal of the gonads, usually testis. <<<

ELynne
11-13-09, 09:52 AM
I am considered a male, but i am very confused. My parents claim that the doctor said i was male, and that no one disputed it till i did myself, but i do have a suspicion that i was born intersexed and i don't know how i'm supposed to feel about that. I have very little sensation in my genitals, though i recently had sex with a man and he just wanted to basically hump together, and i have never felt anything like that, which really just makes my suspicions more prevelant...is there any way that i could have developed anything and my body basically covered it up as it developed? Is this a possibility or am i just seeing mountains where there is nothing? Please help me...

Peggy
11-13-09, 11:12 AM
Hi RKH et.al.

Here are some questions that might be helpful in telling whether you are intersex.

Have you had menstrual periods?

What kind of pubertal development did you have? Was it female-typical? If not typical, how was it different?

Have you ever been prescribed a hormone medication?

You wrote,

I am technically female right now, but I've always felt like more of a gender-neutral person...

That probably has absolutely nothing to do with whether you are physically intersex. Most people who feel "different" about their gender are not intersex.

my nipples and vagina seem to have no feeling in them whatsoever. I wasn't sure if this could be due to having them constructed

Nipples and breast primordia are present from birth in both sexes. Nipples almost never need to be constructed unless they have been lost through injury or surgery.

When you say you have no feeling in your "vagina", do you mean the vaginal canal, or the vulva (female external genitalia)?

Some natal female-bodied persons with gender dysphoria or transsexualism feel dissociated from their breasts and female genitalia and are somewhat unaware of feelings there.

ELynne wrote,

I am considered a male, but i am very confused. ...i do have a suspicion that i was born intersexed

As I asked RKH, what was your pubertal development like? Was it atypical? Were you ever prescribed hormone medication as a kid?

Friendly greetings to all,

Peggy

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
"When art critics get together they talk about Form and Structure and Meaning.
When artists get together they talk about where you can buy cheap turpentine." - Pablo Picasso

spacegirl
11-13-09, 02:30 PM
Peggy, RKH's last login was on 07-26-08, may not be here to notice your question.

Marci_Ann
04-30-10, 11:14 PM
Hi all
I don't know if I was born intersexed or not but I have my reasons to believe so
My mother while she was alive had always told me that there were problems at birth and I had to be taken aside. wouldn't say what.

At young age I started showing feminine feelings and actions where my brothers promptly started calling me Fem, fag, and gay.

By the age of 6 my mother started me on Male hormones saying that they were growth hormones that I wasn't growing. I have found out that they were male hormones.
I have always felt that I was a female in a mans body and now i have started the transition from male to female. I was diagnosed as GID by my Dr. and started on estrogen the lowest amount that they make 0.015 mg a day the normal for TS transition is around 6 mg a day and with in the time of a month I developed breasts much larger the my TS friends that have been on 6 mg for years.
my male parts are less then 1" and I have never been able to have children.
I would like to know if there is a way to tell if I was surgically changed as a baby because I heal very quickly and never have had scars anywhere on my body for very long So I cant tell just by looking. example: I had a 12" cut 1" deep down my leg and it healed in 2 days with no scaring. it had closed up by the time I was taken to the hospital by my mother when I was a child.
thanks for any info
Marci Ann Harrington

Dianne
05-01-10, 06:27 AM
I would like to know if there is a way to tell if I was surgically changed as a baby....

There is, a whole series of medical test looking for abnormalities of the reproductive tract and the things that cause them. The tests can be expensive.

The first test normally done is to check chromosomes for XX, XY, or variations. An abdominal ultrasound will show any internal variations of the reproductive tract, and finally DNA testing will show any genetic variations.

uriela
05-02-10, 11:32 AM
Hi Marci,

Did your mother say why you were given "male hormones" (I presume you mean "testosterone")?

It has been a standard thing to give those being raised as boys so they will not grow up gay, e.g. There are other reasons. That is just one possibility.

Aseras
05-03-10, 11:09 AM
I don't know of anyone who would or anything that would necessitate prescribing sex hormones at 6 years old.

There are sometimes trials done on infants for a couple of months to test responsiveness, but not something like this.

No matter how well you heal there are still scars. Check your skin under a good blacklight. When I was on testosterone I used to heal like wolverine too, lol. Couldn't see the scars either. Now since I've been of for nearly 5 years, all of my old scars are quite visible and I heal at a snails pace again.

uriela
05-03-10, 12:14 PM
I don't know of anyone who would or anything that would necessitate prescribing sex hormones at 6 years old..

My niece was started at about age 10 because she was not doing well in school. It was probably a bit late for her to start on them.

She has Turner's Syndrome.

uriela
05-03-10, 01:00 PM
Maybe it was a growth hormone. According to Wikipedia some testosterone may also be prescribed.

Sorry. I wasn't personally involved.

(Editing seems to be inhibited on this site. I thought you had an hour. ????)

She reached the standard height for Turner's of about 5 feet. Has a thick neck. She was raised female.

M-A
05-06-10, 04:41 PM
I don't know of anyone who would or anything that would necessitate prescribing sex hormones at 6 years old.

Maybe because of an early puberty ? Mine had visibly started at age 8.

Thinking again, my brother got started on growth hormone at 7.

Aseras
05-09-10, 09:00 PM
They usually try to halt precocious puberty. Not induce it. Growth hormone is another thing. It's done early for drarwfism or some other pituitary issue. Sex hormones for puberty are not usually started before 12. Simply to see if the body is going to start on it's own. Exogenous hormone administration results in sterility. It's a last resort thing or it should be.