Intersex Community Forums | Bodies Like Ours  

Go Back   Intersex Community Forums | Bodies Like Ours > Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia > General CAH Forum

General CAH Forum Connect with others that are interested in congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Any topics related to CAH may be posted here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-11, 03:08 PM

ACTH Stimulation Test

Firstly, let me start off by saying that I appreciate that very few if indeed anybody on this forum is a fully qualified endocrinologist. I have spoken to my endocrinologist and have found his responses unsatisfactory. I am seeking advice from anybody who has undergone this test.

I was given an ACTH stim test about 6 weeks ago. I was given my results recently, and told that as my 17OHP did not rise dramatically I can't possibly have CAH. I am possibly mistaken, but surely 17OHP does not rise in all cases of CAH? Surely the only reliable way to measure an ACTH stim test is a failure to increase serum concentrations of cortisol??

Also, my endocrinologist has indicated that as I am 46XX with ovaries and a uterus I am not classed as 'virilised'. My gynaecologist wrote to him suggesting that indeed I am virilized but he has responded that that term is subjective and so he refuses to give me a physical exam.

Has anybody got any advice, short of walking into his office and tearing my clothes off, or whipping out a ruler, on how to go about quantifying virilization to my endo??

Many thanks.